I thought I'd try something a bit different this Paddy's Day, so instead of the usual green cupcakes I'm making a Dark Chocolate Guinness Cake with Baileys Frosting!!! I found this great blog Love Swah, with this recipe, show this girl some love and check out the full recipe here!!!
Dark Chocolate Guinness Cake
- 250ml Guinness stout/porter (1 cup)
- 250g butter (1 cup + 1 tbsp.)
- 100g cup cocoa powder (2/3 cup)
- 400g caster/superfine sugar (1¾ cups)
- 140ml sour cream (2/3 cup)
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 250g plain flour (2 cups)
- 2½ tsp bicarbonate of soda/baking soda
Baileys Cream Cheese Icing
- 500-600g sifted icing sugar/powdered sugar (4-5 cups)
- 100g butter at room temperature
- 250g cream cheese at room temperature (8oz)
- 4-6 tbsps Baileys Irish Cream
I used Guinness Stout as per recipe but if you prefer Beamish or Murphy's stout then I don't see a problem. It's your taste so pick your favourite Stout!
I read this great review of Baileys and alternatives from A Thrifty Mrs read here so I went with the Lidl alternative!
This is a big recipe so I made 4 cupcakes too. I could have made more really!!! But I used a 7" tin.
(This cake doesn't rise much when it did mine cracked open all over so I had to trim it level)
This cake is also sooo heavy! So small slices!
The Baileys frosting is amazing and I'm not a boozy person! I will definitely be making that again!
But I used less icing sugar and more cream cheese and maybe less baileys. I always use less sugar in cream cheese icing, it's a personal taste thing, I just don't like it overly sweet so I used approx.:
Baileys Cream Cheese Frosting
Love this cake, a nice change from my usual cutesy baking! Hope you try it and enjoy it!!
Check out my previous baking posts: